Pan Pacific Vancouver
Reporting to the Executive Chef, the Chief Steward is a hands-on leadership position that is responsible for managing the Stewarding operations ensuring cleanliness, quality and presentation standards established by the Hotel are met. This position is required to exercise judgment, set priorities; schedule the stewarding operation to meet the requirements and be in line with budget and labour costs. In addition, this position will be required to work closely with other departments to ensure smooth work flow within the division.
The key responsibilities of the Chief Steward include but are not limited to:
• Lead and direct the team to ensure the smooth operation of Stewarding functions.
• Work closely together with other departments to ensure the smooth flow of work in food preparation and F&B service, including restaurant events, banquet set-ups, dish-up, buffets and breakdown.
• Ensure cleanliness of the areas through proper job task lists and cleaning schedules for consistent high level of compliance with Hotel Standards and Vancouver Coastal health authorities’ expectations.
• Ensure upkeep all of equipment through periodic planned scheduling of special cleaning and polishing.
• Ensure optimum allocation and utilization of budgetary resources towards operational supplies and cleaning supplies (including pest control substances).
• Monitor and manage equipment inventory audits to ensure optimum work resources.
• Be responsible for monthly, quarterly and yearly inventories of operational supplies and equipment - as required.
• Maintain a safe working environment in all sections of stewarding within the kitchens.
• Hold regular quarterly Stewarding Department Meetings; Responsible for establishing department objectives, policies and procedures, designed to provide service levels, which exceed the expectations of both internal departments and guests.
• Participate in recruitment, selection, training and performance management of all Stewarding associates; acts as a resource to associates.
• Monitor work hours, scheduling and vacation planning of Stewarding associates while adhering to budgeted labour costs based on hotel occupancy and work volumes.
• Forecast and manage expenses.
• Performs other duties within Food and Beverage, as assigned or required.
The successful candidate will be a committed guest service oriented professional who leads by example setting standards of excellence for work to be completed. This person will be able to manage multiple priorities and tasks with a willingness to approach new challenges and adjust plans to meet priorities. This position will require the candidate to work within a team environment and be a strong communicator.
Qualifications and Technical Experience
• Candidate must have a minimum of 3-5 years of progressive supervisory and/or management experience with solid stewarding experience in a large scale food and beverage operation.
• Demonstrated knowledge of safety standards and WHIMIS.
• Demonstrated leadership experience and organizational skills with an excellent eye for detail is a must.
• Previous management experience involving maintenance of Budget, Forecasting, Inventory & Cost Control, as well as budget preparation is an asset.
• Proven ability to handle high stress and work under frequent peak period conditions.
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter explaining your motivation for the position and how you meet the selection criteria along with a current resume. All application documents are to be submitted via the following link: Pan Pacific Vancouver
Please note: Applicants who do not already have legal permission to work in Canada will not be considered.
The Pan Pacific Vancouver thanks all interested applicants and advise that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
There have been recent and ongoing fraudulent activities involving soliciting individuals and their personal details for employment using various internet based e-mail accounts that use the Pan Pacific Vancouver name (or variations of the Hotel name) without authorization. Individuals are asked to provide copies of their personal identification and to send money in order to process the application. These offers are fraudulent and the Pan Pacific Vancouver does not ask for any monies or payment in any form from applicants at any time during the recruitment or employment process. We recommend that you do not disclose your personal or financial details to anyone you do not know.
The Pan Pacific Vancouver and Pan Pacific Hotels Group has not authorized this form of communication and no such recruitment program is being offered or sanctioned by our company. Pan Pacific Hotels Group has notified the authorities to investigate.
If you receive an offer of employment but are unsure if it is legitimate, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have been a victim of this fraudulent activity, please contact your local police department to report the matter.