Commis 1 ( Tournant)
Pan Pacific Vancouver
Reporting to the Chef de Partie and/or Sous Chef the Commis 1 position is responsible for preparing and servicing all food items according to the production standards established by the Executive Chef and the Pan Pacific Hotel. Additionally this position will be responsible for leading the 2nd& 3rd Commis, Cook’s Helpers & Apprentices offering guidance in accordance with culinary standards, recipes and menus of the Pan Pacific.
The key responsibilities of the Commis 1 include but are not limited to:
• Prepares and services all food items according to Pan Pacific Hotel recipes and standards
• Ensures consistency in taste and presentation of all food items.
• Maintains daily mis-en-place and prepares certain food items for the following days duties
• Has the ability and flexibility to work in all areas of the kitchen such as Café Pacifica hot & cold line, Garde Manger and Banquet kitchen.
• Has the ability and flexibility to be scheduled for opening and closing shifts in the Café Restaurant and Banquet Production as well as weekends.
• Ensure freshness of food and ingredients by checking for quality, keeping track of old and new items, and rotating stock.
• Inspect and clean food preparation areas, such as equipment and work surfaces, or serving areas to ensure safe and sanitary food-handling practices.
• Ensure food is stored and cooked at correct temperature by regulating temperature of ovens, broilers, grills, and roasters.
• Monitors related equipment, reporting any problems or inconsistencies to the Sous Chef
• Assumes responsibilities of the Chef de Partie in their absence
• Performs other related duties as required
Physical Aspects of Position (include but are not limited to):
• Constant standing and walking throughout shift
• Frequent lifting and carrying up to 30 lbs
• Occasional kneeling, pushing, pulling, lifting
Qualifications and Technical Experience
• Red Seal Certificate or equivalent
• A minimum of 2 years with intermediate work related experience in an equivalent size and style of operation.
• Food Safe 1 and WHMIS certificates are essential.
• Knowledge of current market trends, menu design and styles that are in line with industry standards.
• Have excellent verbal communication & interpersonal skills; Fluent written and spoken English.
• Able to maintain a sustained level of concentration in a high pressured environment ensuring quality in all food production and service is consistent with the Hotel standards.
How to apply
Please submit a cover letter explaining your motivation for the position and how you meet the selection criteria along with a current resume. All application documents are to be submitted via the Careers page on the Pan Pacific Vancouver website: www.panpacificvancouver.com /careers
Please note: Applicants who do not already have legal permission to work in Canada will not be considered.
The Pan Pacific Vancouver thanks all interested applicants and advise that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.