Pastry Cook 3 (Commis)
Pan Pacific Vancouver
We are looking for an energetic individual to join the Pastry Team in the role of Commis 3. This Person will be responsible for preparing and servicing all food items, under the general supervision of the Pastry Chef and according to the production standards established by the Executive Chef and the Pan Pacific Hotel.
The key responsibilities of the Commis 3 include but are not limited to:
- Prepares and services all food items according to Pan Pacific Hotel recipes and standards.
- Be consistent in productivity and quality control.
- Maintain and adhere to food safety standards and adhere to the guidelines and responsibilities of HACCP (Food).
- Ensures minimum waste in food preparation; Maintains daily mis-en-place
- Set up dessert buffets and plated dessert functions according to hotel standards
- Be able to work all areas (stations) of the pastry department
- Monitors related equipment, reporting any problems or inconsistencies to the Pastry Chef
- Be able to work with minimal supervision and has basic watch over skills and responsibilities for Cook’s Helpers & Apprentices
- Rotation and proper organization of raw ingredients and finished products and must report the improper counts.
- Prepares sponge cakes and butter cakes varieties; differentiating between low ratio and high ratio ingredients.
- Preparing and handling of basic or specialized chocolate work; Creative cake decorating and proper masking.
- Sauce preparation to include; puree fruits, cream sauce, compote
- Monitors equipment and reports any problems or inconsistencies to the Pastry Chef
- Perform other related duties as required
- Able to maintain a sustained level of concentration in a high pressured environment ensuring quality in all food production and service is consistent with the Hotel standards.
- Has the ability to be innovative, creative and participate with new ideas for menus or special functions
- Familiar with Pastry tool techniques: knife and spatula technique for cutting and slicing, pearling, masking.
- Specialty fruits preparation for baking cooking; whipping technique of liquid form ingredients, i.e. eggs and cream.
- Preparing basic pastry dough, laminated dough and east dough.
- Utilizing decorative cuts using special techniques or tools, cutting turned fruits and making dried fruits chips.
- Handling of knives and cutters and their storage requirements.
- Must be well-organized and maintain a clean work area
- Judging skill to evaluate the consistency for sauce and mousse.
- Judging skill to evaluate the baking point of breads, pies and cookies.
- Judging skill for service timing with production work organize.
- Self-motivated and able to complete responsibilities in a timely manner with little or no supervision.
- Maintains highest standard of professionalism, ethics, grooming and attitude towards guests, clients and other associates.
Physical Aspects of Position (include but are not limited to):
• Constant standing and walking throughout shift
• Frequent lifting and carrying up to 30 lbs
• Occasional kneeling, pushing, pulling, lifting
Qualifications and Technical Experience
- Grade 12 education; culinary education preferred.
- Four – Five years of pastry and baking experience within a hotel or restaurant setting.
- Food Safe 1 and WHMIS certificates are essential.
- HACCP Certificate preferred.
- Excellent oral & written communication and interpersonal skills
How to apply
Please submit a cover letter explaining your motivation for the position and how you meet the selection criteria along with a current resume. All application documents are to be submitted via the following link: APPLY HERE
Please note: Applicants who do not already have legal permission to work in Canada will not be considered.
The Pan Pacific Vancouver thanks all interested applicants and advise that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.