Director of Catering & Events
Pan Pacific Vancouver
Located in beautiful downtown Vancouver, British Columbia, the Pan Pacific Vancouver is a luxurious Canadian iconic hotel towering over the Pacific Ocean with 23 stories of architectural beauty. The waterfront property eloquently boasts panoramic views of the Harbour Mountains, Stanley Park and the city skyline, like no other in the city. One of Vancouver’s leading hotels, the Pan Pacific Vancouver consists of 503 spacious guest rooms, over 42,000 square feet of event space, and offers a wide selection of modern hotel amenities including two waterfront restaurants. The new Pacific Club, a Hotel within a Hotel concept, provides the extra comfort and personalized and intimate experience with 39 suites including 5 ultra-luxury suites.
We are currently recruiting for an experienced and driven sales leader to join our team as Director, Catering and Events. This position will oversee the catering and event revenue efforts for the 42,000 sq. ft. of banquets/meeting space selling the maximum potential for 20 meeting rooms and will lead and manage the daily sales effort of a Catering and Event Sales team. The incumbent will be accountable for delivering outstanding guest service and increasing financial profitability.
You are an experienced leader with a hands on approach, your strong communication skills allow you to build solid relationships and your guest service skills allow you to close opportunities. You are driven to deliver a WOW product to our guests and continuously strive to exceed expectations. You are a tactful seller who can prospect to build a strong network and close catering deals and drive your team to do the same. You are known as a positive mentor who teaches a team to measure goals and achieve quotas producing optimal results. Your expert knowledge in catering and event sales make you an ideal candidate for this position.
We are an enthusiastic, driven and seasoned team who takes pride in what we do. We work hard and value a team approach to provide the best guest service. We not only create memories for our guests, but for our employees too, and have fun at various team building activities throughout the year. Pan Pacific Vancouver offers competitive compensation including a comprehensive benefits package and pension plan, hotel perks and a positive and enjoyable work environment.
The key responsibilities of the Director, Catering and Event Sales include but are not limited to:
- Achieve all catering and event sales goals as it relates to personal and team productivity as agreed for the year and to meet the hotel budget. Lead and coach the Catering and Event Managers, ensure sales initiatives result in the achievement of individual and team sales goals including the optimization of group room blocks. Conduct regular catering and event sales meetings in order to monitor team progress.
- Participates in selection, recruitment, training and performance management of all catering associates.
- Create detailed Banquet Event orders and resumes for events and groups to effectively communicate the expectations of the client.
- Proactively solicit new business and manage relationships with existing and lost business accounts, to meet/exceed revenue goals and expand the Hotel’s client base through various mediums. (This includes but is not limited to telephone solicitation, outside sales calls, tradeshows and travel functions, site inspections, written communication, the web and social media).
- Practice professional account qualification on a consistent basis (e.g., measure budget needs, date flexibility, space requirement, competitive information etc).
- Oversee contract negotiations with clients/group organizers in accordance with hotel policy, including the preparation of all contracting documents.
- Work with the team on negotiating strategies to maximize and secure the sale of corporate and social events.
- Identify through market intelligence any business trends, new market segments and marketing opportunities that can improve overall hotel and catering performance; develop, implement and monitor sales processes to ensure that the Hotel is competitive in all banquet and catering aspects.
- Work with the relevant personnel to create promotional and marketing materials to increase catering revenue.
- Recommend new sales, service, menu and pricing strategies to meet changing business environments and lead and manage the execution of these strategies with the relevant personnel.
- Provide competitive pricing on Requests for Proposals (RFP’s) that aligns with the overall catering pricing strategy.
- Work together with the relevant personnel to develop an annual catering sales plan and budget, goals and incentives; work within budgeted and forecasted guidelines for expenditures.
- Develop and administer relevant financial and sales activity reports, analyzing and forecasting monthly revenue trends; track lost and turned down business; be decisive in altering the sales direction as and when required.
- Perform other job-related duties and special projects as assigned.
Qualifications and Technical Experience
- Minimum three (3) years in a dedicated senior Catering & Event sales management capacity with a proven track record of achieving revenue goals.
- Preferred candidate will have led a sales management team with proven success in meeting revenue goals.
- Demonstrated experience in leadership, planning, budget development, problem solving, communication and training is essential for this position.
- Experience in analyzing/forecasting revenue trends and developing annual budgets.
- Experience in developing sales strategy and achieving revenue goals.
- Excellent oral & written business communication and interpersonal skills.
- Computer Skills - Demonstrated ability with regard to computer skills, including an intermediate level of Microsoft Office Suite, proficiency with e-mail, internet and data base applications. Experience using hotel programs is preferred but not essential.
- Must have the flexibility to incorporate travel, evening and weekend work into their lifestyle; must have valid driver’s license and vehicle.
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter explaining your motivation for the position and how you meet the selection criteria along with a current resume. APPLY HERE
Applicants who do not already have legal permission to work in Canada will not be considered.
The Pan Pacific Vancouver thanks all interested applicants and advise that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.