Junior Sous Chef (Buffet)
Pan Pacific Singapore
Responsibilities include ensuring highest quality and standard of food served and to perform training programmes (theoretical and practical) for Commis Cook and Trainees.
- Ensure his behaviour and personal appearance is always geared to the objective of being an example to all other staff within the Hotel and he must strive to use a polite language and well-groomed behaviour in his relation with the hotel guests, colleagues and staff.
- Be responsible to correct handling and basic maintenance of equipment, machinery and tools in the Preparation kitchen.
- Be responsible for the proper care and handling of all food items in the preparation kitchen.
- Be responsible for the proper care, handling and utilisation of all trimmings, leftovers and waste products such as vegetables, potatoes, bones, skin, fats, etc as per manual.
- Ensure quality control before operations.
- Ensure operations run smoothly.
- Menu planning
- Make orders of ingredients required.
- Be responsible for the work performance and efficiency of all employees under his supervision.
- Be conscientious in portioning as per established guide lines.
- Make and check the store requisitions will in advance to allow adequate defrosting time for imported meats, fish and seafoods. The co-operation of the Chef De Parties is essential in this matter.
- Check daily orders for all satelite-kitchens.
- Prepare banquet orders not later than 12 hours or one day in advance.
- Give special attention regarding hygiene and sanitation since raw products are handled long before actual consumption.
- Assure orderly handling of different food items like vegetables, potatoes, fish, seafoods, lamb and other meat products. Never cut fish on butcher block. Never cut meat on the same carving board for fish. Vegetables separate when sorting.
- Build up stock of cocktail items (chicken wings, shrimps, meat balls, etc.) when food cost allows.
- Pay special attention on the proper sorting of food items (trimmed separate from untrimmed). Ready portions, trimmings and bones to be labelled when necessary and vacuum packed.
- Work straight or split shift as the flow of business requires. Arrange lunch break accordingly. After lunch, check the blackboard for new orders. Write requisitions which are to be submitted to the Chef’s Office not later than 2.30pm. Requisition form has to be filled in clear, readable handwriting. All requisitions have to be signed by the Executive Chef or Executive Sous-Chef. Requisitions without proper signatures, with unreadable corrections or scrawls will not be accepted by the storekeeper.
- Supervise cleaning of preparation kitchen. Refer to kitchen manual regarding cleaning specifications.
- Leave instructions for evening shift.
- Co-operate and delegate work properly. These are essential for the smooth operations of the Production Kitchen.
- Issue from store only by requisition.
- Be responsible for daily inter-kitchen and Production Transfer Report.
- Obey all house rules and to also assist in the enforcing of them. He must conduct himself in such a manner so as to encourage fellow employees to do likewise.
- Even though the Junior Sous-Chef is assigned to a specific station which he must be completely familiar, he may be called upon in the course of service to help out in other stations.
- Emphasise on teamwork towards betterment of his section and the overall kitchen operations.
- Be in charge of controlling and maintaining top quality in local food production.
- Check Banquet set-ups i.e. Hot water in Chafing dishes, sterno burners, etc.
- Conduct on-the-job training for his juniors in order to improve their cooking standards and also set up training classes for trainees.
- Make sure banquet functions are always set-up on time. It must be 30 minutes before each function.
- Ensure that all necessary equipment e.g. burners, plates etc., are ready for use for set-meals and buffets.
- Work closely with the Sous-Chef and to give his fullest co-operation to other departments when needed.
- Always get the Captain order after all functions pertaining to the main kitchen
- Perform any other duties as required by the Executive Chef or Executive Sous Chef and Senior Sous Chef.
- Support and uphold the Hotel’s mission, vision and guiding principles.
- Comprehend the hotel’s business plans
- Comply with all Hotel policies and procedures.
- Comply with all local regulations (if any).
- Demonstrate and be perceived as a role model for:
- Development of people relations
- Innovative thinking
- Growth orientation
- Communication effectiveness
- Inspiring associates to perform their work scope with a high level of quality and integrity
- Focused manner, yet able to handle multiple issues simultaneously
- Maintain a friendly, neat and pleasant image at all times.
- Support internal best practices.
- Maintain highest standards of professionalism, ethics, grooming and attitude towards associates, guests/customers, suppliers and other clients.
- Maintain professional confidentiality at all times.
- Demonstrate a good working relationship with other departments with a high level of communication and co-operation in the interests of customer service and improvements in the working conditions of the hotel and department.
- Minimum GCE 'O' Level or Professional Certificate in Culinary
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a professional kitchen operation, preferably in Cold Kitchen of buffet line.
- Responsible, hardworking and is willing to learn
- Maintain highest standards of professionalism, ethics, grooming and attitude
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter explaining your motivation for the position and how you meet the selection criteria along with a current resume. All application documents are to be submitted via the Careers page or to email - email@example.com
We apologise that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.