Security Team Lead
Pan Pacific Vancouver
Reporting to the Rooms Division Manager, the successful candidate will be responsible for leading the Security Department to ensure a smooth operation while taking an active role in providing protection, safety, and security for guests, employees and the physical property according to the standards of the Pan Pacific Vancouver.
The key responsibilities of the Security Team Lead include but are not limited to:
Lead and direct the Security team and contract security services (when applicable) to ensure the smooth operation of Security functions.
Cover shift duties of a security officer on a daily basis; maintain professional internal/external guest service: smiles, creates eye contact and uses employee/guest names.
Participate in recruitment, selection, training and performance management of all Security associates; act as a resource to associates.
Train and assesses new security associates on fire life and safety aspects as they apply to the hotel and the World Trade Centre.
Monitor performance of the Security Department, prepare performance evaluations and report findings to the Rooms Division Manager; Train new associates on Security, Fire, Life and Safety, WHMIS, OH&S and violence in the workplace.
Monitor work hours and scheduling of Security associates while adhering to budgeted labour costs based on hotel occupancy and work volumes including paid meetings, training sessions and special occasion security needs; Prepare Security Department bi-weekly schedules
Ensure accurate reports are prepared at the end of each shift including daily log book entries, incident reports, fire alarm and medical reports; Respond to complaints from guests, patrons and associates when called upon and conduct necessary investigations.
Make recommendations to the Rooms Division Manager on how various aspects of hotel security and safety can be improved and encourage same from all security associates.
Keep the Rooms Division Manager apprised of all activities by associates and others that are not consistent with the house rules, goals and policies of the hotel.
Maintain on-going communications with the Vancouver Police Department, RCMP VIP Section and any other security agencies and assist with special security arrangements for VIP visits when requested.
Participate in chairing quarterly Security meetings.
Reports maintenance and housekeeping problems to department Managers.
Performs other job-related duties and special projects as assigned.
This Person’s Decision-Making Authority Includes:
Day-to-day procedures and routines governing this function; Authority as assigned by the direct report.
Ultimate authority with respect to the transport decision of an injured Associate.
Ultimate authority with respect to the administration of first aid to an injured associate.
Authority to notify external emergency services where required.
Physical aspects of the position include but are not limited to the following:
Frequent standing and walking throughout the shift.
- Professionalism – Regulates own behavior, understands the hotel culture and acts appropriately with all associates in the execution of duties.
- Decisiveness - Proven consistency in making sound decisions, at times in pressurized or time-sensitive environments.
- Attention to detail - Able to maintain a sustained level of concentration in a high pressured environment ensuring quality service is consistently delivered by team members.
- Service Orientation - Displays a commitment to guest service and continually strives for improvement.
- Trust - Demonstrates effective discretion and maintains confidentiality of all sensitive work related information.
- Leadership - Leads by example in behaving in an honest and trustworthy manner; treats others fairly; builds strong and trusting relationships with others; practices open communication.
- Interactive Communication - Adapts content, style, tone and medium of communication to suit the target audience’s language and level of understanding; takes others’ perspectives into account when communicating or presenting information; facilitates open communication and information exchange.
- Conflict Management - Defuses difficult situations by being assertive; facilitates discussions between parties to explore differences and help find common ground; uses tactful approach to work with others to identify solutions to emerging conflicts and or issues.
- Resource Management – Monitors and ensures the efficient and appropriate use of resources, ensuring controls are in line with budget and forecast, whether human, financial, or material.
- Team Building - Promotes team achievement, contributes to the development and success of department objectives; supports and encourages team members; is respectful, actively listens to and seeks out opinions and ideas from the team.
- Developing Others - Supports individual development and improvement by providing effective performance feedback and support, reinforcing strengths and identifying areas for improvement and ways to improve performance and competence; encourages staff to develop and apply their skills; provides positive comments regarding others’ abilities or potential even in difficult cases; creates mentoring opportunities.
Qualifications and Technical Experience
- Candidate must have a minimum of 2 years of previous experience in security or related position; Supervisory experience is considered an asset.
- Both Basic and Advanced Security Training (BST & AST) is required in this position
- Valid Level 2 Occupational First Aid Certificate is required in this position
- Demonstrated leadership experience and organizational skills with an excellent eye for detail is a must.
- Able to demonstrate excellent Interpersonal skills, Conflict resolution skills and Observational skills.
- Possesses sound decision-making abilities; Research and investigative skills.
- Remain “on-call” 24 hours per day, 7 days per week (excluding annual leave) and respond to all pertinent calls for assistance from an on-duty Security Officer, Duty Manager or Executive Committee Member.
- Knowledge of Hotel security policies and procedures; Knowledge of Hotel functions; Knowledge of Hotel layout.
- Typing/Basic Computer skills (MS Word, Outlook)
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter explaining your motivation for the position and how you meet the selection criteria along with a current resume. All application documents are to be submitted via the Careers page on the Pan Pacific Vancouver website: https://www.panpacific.com/en/careers.html
Applicants who do not already have legal permission to work in Canada will not be considered.
The Pan Pacific Vancouver thanks all interested applicants and advise that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
There have been recent and ongoing fraudulent activities involving soliciting individuals and their personal details for employment using various internet based e-mail accounts that use the Pan Pacific Vancouver name (or variations of the Hotel name) without authorization. Individuals are asked to provide copies of their personal identification and to send money in order to process the application. These offers are fraudulent and the Pan Pacific Vancouver does not ask for any monies or payment in any form from applicants at any time during the recruitment or employment process. We recommend that you do not disclose your personal or financial details to anyone you do not know.
The Pan Pacific Vancouver and Pan Pacific Hotels Group has not authorized this form of communication and no such recruitment program is being offered or sanctioned by our company. Pan Pacific Hotels Group has notified the authorities to investigate.
If you receive an offer of employment but are unsure if it is legitimate, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have been a victim of this fraudulent activity, please contact your local police department to report the matter.