Manila at a Glance
GMT +8 hours
Filipinos higly value treating elders with respect as well as deference and this is apparent in either hand gestures or manner of speech.
Communication is always polite and public criticism as well as arguing are socially unacceptable.
The electrical current in Manila runs on a 220-volt, 50-cycle AC (the same as Britain and Australia). North American appliances will need an adaptor and a converter while dual-voltage appliances will simply require an adaptor.
The unit of currency is the Philippine Peso (PhP).
A 10% tip is common even in restaurants with service charges.
- 12% value-added government tax is automatically added to all goods and services
- 10% service charge is applied in the hotel
Manila is hot and humid with little variation throughout the year. The average temperature is 34°C (93.2°F), dropping to around 22°C (71.6°F) in the evenings. From June to October, prepare for frequent rains due to monsoons.
Shopping and Business Hours
10:00am to 9:00pm
- Police, UN Station: 523 3378
- Fire Station, Intramuros: 301 1101
- Philippine General Hospital: 524 5651
- Manila Doctors Hospital: 524 3011
- Electricity, Meralco: 632 8213