Sous Chef - Restaurants & Bar
Pan Pacific Vancouver
Reporting to the Executive Sous Chef, the Restaurant Sous Chef is a hands-on leadership position that is responsible for managing the daily culinary operations in preparation and service of food to the Restaurant and Bar ensuring all production, quality and presentation standards established by the Hotel are met or exceeded. This position is required to exercise judgement, set priorities and schedule the culinary operations to meet the requirements of restaurant kitchen and be in line with budget and labour costs.
The key responsibilities of the Restaurant Sous Chef include but are not limited to:
- Lead and direct the restaurant culinary team to ensure the smooth operation, efficient flow of food production, premium presentation and timely high quality food service to all outlets, particularly the Restaurant, Bar and Room Service.
- Ensure all areas of the hot & cold kitchen practice safe food handling, sanitation and storage procedures.
- Manage the daily operation of the restaurant kitchen, including all food ordering.
- Has the ability and flexibility to work in all areas such as Butchery, Garde Manger and Banquet kitchen.
- Able to design new restaurant menus while managing food cost resulting from seasonal price fluctuations; customize menus for restaurants guests and outlets.
- Ensure consistency in taste and presentation for food items.
- Monitor and manage the quality and quality control of all restaurant food production and wastage, for optimizing food cost.
- Act as a resource to restaurant kitchen and food and beverage associates.
- Participate in recruitment, training and performance management of restaurant kitchen associates.
- Monitor work hours, scheduling and vacation planning of restaurant kitchen associates while adhering to budgeted and forecasted labour costs based on outlet business and work volumes.
- Act as liaison between the Executive Chef, Executive Sous Chef and the restaurant kitchen associates.
- Monitor and manage equipment inventory audits to ensure optimum work resources.
- Maintains a safe work environment in all sections of the restaurant kitchen.
- Assumes role and responsibilities of the Executive Sous Chef and Banquet Sous Chef as required in their absence.
- Performs other related duties and special projects as required.
The successful candidate will be committed to guest service who leads by example setting standards of excellence for the Restaurant kitchen. This person will have a natural creative ability in the design of menus, dishes, displays ware and buffet presentation while having a strong attention to detail to ensure consistency and quality in food production. The Sous Chef will have a positive and engaging leadership style and will be able to build strong relationships with others and facilitate open communication and information exchange. They will be able to demonstrate past successes in team achievement and the development of others, while being able to effectively manage any conflicts that arise in their area. They will possess the ability to plan and organize others to ensure the effective and efficient use of resources that are in line with budget and forecast, whether human, financial, or material.
Qualifications and Technical Experience.
- Red Seal or equivalent certification, Food Safe 1 and WHIMIS certificates are essential.
- HACCP Certificate preferred.
- Minimum of (5) five years experience in a culinary management position in an equivalent size and style of operation with experience in managing labour and food costs.
- Undergraduate degree from an accredited culinary school an asset or equivalent level of experience.
- Proven culinary experience servicing a variety of food and beverage outlets including large scale restaurant operations, restaurants and bars and room service.
- Knowledge of current market trends, menu design and styles that are in line with industry standards.
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Computer skills - Proficient in Excel, Word and Outlook
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter explaining your motivation for the position and how you meet the selection criteria along with a current resume. All application documents are to be submitted via the careers page in the website.